Friday, April 3, 2009

Just a few more days at NITC...

Hmmm.. Around a month left for college to end, and we can be sure that it will simply whiz by, considering that the next few days are laced with so much stuff... project, quizzes, term papers n all. In no time, we will be packing our bags and bidding goodbye. It's quite hard to believe that I've spent 4 years at this place... that morning on the Mangalore mail when I woke up to be dazzled by the spectacular scenery and the beautiful drizzle outside doesn't seem to be so long ago.

It's been quite an experience at this wonderful place. I am sure I've learned so so much over here.. some lessons I will carry with me for the rest of my life. College is the time when you leave the comfort zone of your home for the first time in your life and you are out there as an individual, facing life on your own. You observe and get to learn from so many different people around you, each formed of different ideas and beliefs.. and that's where the biggest plus of hostel life comes in. It was the time when I thought deeply of my strengths and weaknesses, when I did a lot of soul-searching and introspection. Most importantly, it was the time when I realised that either I change, or be entrenched in the realm of mediocrity forever.

Of course, it's also been fun. Lots and lots of fun. Right from the times in first year inside the closed walls of the supremely secure A hostel when we were playing cards discreetly, and hiding them under the bedsheets every time someone knocked lest the warden finds out and slaps a memo, the educative but forbidden movie shows at the common room, the ragging sessions when we were valiantly trying to distinguish and remember the biodatas of the numerous TN girls in our batch, the innumerable bunks and proxies, the occasions when we were roaming the streets near to NITC frantically in search, the Counter Strike madness, the 'vetti' times in final year when we were playing each and every game under the sun and resolved to get up at 6 in the morning and play badminton daily for the rest of our lives, the unforgettable stint at the 'ruthless' fourz arena.. and it's aftermath :) , and the few trips we had, it's simply been amazing fun.

So then.. now it's time to move on and enter the 'real' world. How do I feel? I dunno.. it's pretty complex to express. I still distinctly remember the feeling when I was on my first ever day at school, surrounded by unknown people in an unfamiliar environment, unsure of what's going to come next. Perhaps, I am kind of feeling like that once again.
Only this time.. I ain't scared.

7 comments:

  1. I haven't seriously thought about the end of our colg days.. but when I read ur post the whole 4 years of life flashed through ma mind and I'm feeling a bit scared about the thought of leaving the colg. I rem. tears coming off my eyes on the last day of higher sec school.. but this one would be harder due to the emotional attachment we have with our frns... and this very campus..The campus where we spent our colg life.. 'Our colg life' it has just hapnd!! the memories of which will last till the end of our lives...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @sho, yea man.. we r def gonna terribly miss college life.. the environment, the friends... I guess it's okay to feel scared/anxious.. as long as you are not scared about getting scared :). To be honest, I didn't even turn to look back at my school as I was exiting.. I was so pissed off with those 2 years. But now, I regret it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. there are wonderful places waiting for u; leaving which u are again goin to find difficult...perhaps more difficult...so shud u really be upset about leaving one place? unless u are sure that u arent goin to a better place ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." -- Einstein.
    Life here changed us a lot. Let the good part of it remain in us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @angad, I am not at all upset da.. no way. I don't want to stay here an extra day, period. And that reminds me.. I ve got to start doing something about the project and quantum computing :).
    I was actually talking of the slight jitters.. when you move from one phase to another. And I am kinda okay with it, because it means I am taking things seriously, rather than being indifferent. I will have fond memories of this place, because of all the positives I gained over here.

    @hanoosh, Nice quote da. And I guess you can relate to it much better. Many of us haven't learned much to forget :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Arjun... Its really nice to see that your blogging.. what a great post to write at this juncture.. Reminded me of my four yrs in college... It looks like I just entered College and the memories of St.John's are still fresh.. nut I'm gonna graduate.. thts the magic of time!
    Anyway wishing you all success in all your future endeavors.I'm sure you'll make it big in life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ maithreyi, thanku thanku thanku!

    ReplyDelete